Ask a Rental Agent: Writing Checks from an Out-of-Town Bank?

Ask a Rental Agent: Writing Checks from an Out-of-Town Bank?

Got a question about renting? Expert leasing agents at The Rental Girl address your concerns.

QuestionMy wife and I are planning on moving to Los Angeles from the East Coast this fall. We use a local credit union in our current home town for our banking. When we come out to find an apartment, do you think landlords would find it weird or off-putting to get a check from this credit union account? Should we open an account in a nationwide bank with branches in both our home town and LA for this? Will they want a cashiers’ check anyway?

The Rental Girl: No, it should be fine with the majority of landlords here. However, for your initial payment (1st months rent and deposit), you will need a cashiers check. That is always the problem renters from out of town have – struggling to figure out how to get money from an out-of-state bank to get into a cashiers check here in LA. So plan ahead for that. One possibility is to bring cash that you can convert to money order or cashiers check here at a local bank.

“Ask a Rental Agent” is a series of helpful Q&A’s brought to you by the lovely real estate agents at The Rental Girl . The Rental Girl is a leasing agency with branches throughout Los Angeles. Each branch is operated by a unique agent who specializes in her area. All agents at The Rental Girl are California licensed Real Estate agents who specialize in helping renters and home buyers with all their real estate needs. Do you have a question you would like answered by an agent? Submit in the comments below!

Happy Hunting!

The Rental Girl

Share This Post

Leave a reply